Malaysian Society of Neuroscience Awards for Research Publications
The Malaysian Society of Neurosciences was established in 1989 and has been a major non-profit organization, spearheading the development of neurosciences in this country. The aim is to improve the care of patients with neurological disorders by advancing knowledge in neurology and the neurosciences.
Name of Awards
- Malaysian Society of Neurosciences Award for Best Publication
- Malaysian Society of Neurosciences Young Investigator Award for Best Publication
Target & Eligibility
- Academicians, clinicians, scientists, doctors, technicians, trainees and students working in public and private institutions in Malaysia or Malaysians working abroad.
- Aged 40 and below at the time of publication for the Young Investigator category.
- To encourage and promote original scientific research in basic, clinical and interdisciplinary Neurosciences.
- To recognize outstanding and relevant research by Malaysians in the above specific categories of basic and clinical neurosciences that have been recognized and published in peer reviewed journals
Criteria for award
The Malaysian Society of Neuroscience Award for Research shall be given to first/corresponding authors who have published a paper in the field of neurosciences in a scientific journal, adjudged to be the best paper during the eligible period from 1 January to 31 December in the immediate year before the award application opens. The research has to be done in Malaysia or by Malaysians working overseas.
The Malaysian Society of Neurosciences Young Investigator Award for Best Publication shall be given to the first/corresponding author of a neuroscience paper who is 40 years old and below at the time the paper is accepted or published. The eligibility period is from 1 January to 31 December, in the immediate year before the award application opens. The research and content of the paper judged has to be conducted in Malaysia or by Malaysians working abroad.
Closing date of application
All applications must be complete and submitted online before the determined deadline of submission. Submission after the deadline would not be considered.
Rules and Regulations
- A committee of 5 judges with appropriate clinical and scientific backgrounds shall decide the recipients for these awards.
- Appointed judges shall be ratified at an MSN annual general meeting to serve for 2 years or longer as deemed necessary. Judges shall be replaced if necessary with the approval of members in the annual general meeting.
- The frequency of awards shall be every 1 or 2 years depending on financial resources and other considerations.
- All decisions of the committee shall be final.
- No award shall be given if there are no suitable candidates.
- The same paper shall not be given the same award more than once.
- All Malaysians or employees of public or private Malaysian institutions shall be eligible for the award. However, the final decision on eligibility shall be the responsibility of the judges.
- Each applicant can only submit one publication for the award.
Evaluation Process & Criteria
Applications deemed eligible are subject to review by the Judges’ Panel or selection committee who will decide on the merits of the original paper by the following criteria:
- Overall quality and significance of research
- Degree of relevance to neurology, neurosurgery and neurosciences in Malaysia
- Caliber and impact factor of the scientific journal
- Citation index of the paper
All publications including case reports, case series presentation with literature review will be accepted. Review articles and letters are not accepted.
Nature of Award
Certificates and RM2,500/RM2,000 will be awarded to Best Publication/Best Young Investigator Publication of the year. This is not renewable. It is the prerogative of the awardee to decide on the disbursement of the monetary award to other authors of the winning paper.
An award ceremony shall take place at an appropriate MSN Annual General and Scientific meeting and all awardees shall be invited to participate.
Award recipients will be featured in the Malaysian Society of Neurosciences website, future newsletters and other relevant communications. A lecture based on their work may also be invited in a future Malaysian Neuroscience Society event.
Call For Application (2020)
All MSN Members are invited to submit research papers, which are accepted or published in the period of 1 January 2019 to 31 December 2020 for consideration of MSN Best Publication Awards for 2019. All applicants must complete the online form and submit before January 31, 2020, 11.59pm.